The Flaran Abbey is the most visited site in the Gers and offers a cultural calendar that features a diverse programme that can include elements of archaeology as well as contemporary art — subjects that are associated with the museum’s collections.
The monastery buildings and the gardens, located in the heart of a park, make for a harmonious setting, a perfect illustration of a Cistercian ensemble dating from the 12th century, that evolved right up through the 18th century.
Bearing the marks of its rich history, the site was bought by the Department of the Gers in 1972.In the year 2000, it became the headquarters for the regional Conservation and Heritage department and the Museums of the Gers. These institutions oversee the public service management of the conservation, public outreach, education and cultural development of the Abbey and its sites as well as ² Museums of France² for the department.
Since 2002, it has been home to the exceptional ²Simonow² collection which has been the subject of themed exhibitions that change every two years. The Cistersian Abbey of Flaran is part of the ²Grand Site d’Occitanie” network.
Abbaye de Flaran, Centre patrimonial départemental (Abbey and Heritage Centre)
Abbaye de Flaran
32310 Valence-sur-Baïse 05 31 00 45 75
- Full price : 5€ (includes entrance to the Cistercian Abbey of Flaran and acces to all the exhibitions)
- Free entry for the under 18’s.
- Reduced price : 2€
- Guided tour price: 2.50€ (for groups of 15 people and over), reservations 2 weeks in advance
Free the first Sunday of the month from November to March
- Open daily
- from 1 February to 30 June and from 1 September to beginning January: from 10am – 12.30pm and from 2pm-6pm
- from 1 July to 31 August : from 10am-7pm
Closed 1 January, 1 May, 25 December.
Closed annually 2 weeks in January
- An hour and a half from Toulouse-Blagnac : Direction « Auch » ; from Auch, direction « Condom » or « Abbaye de Flaran » ; from Valence-sur-Baïse follow signs to « Abbaye de Flaran ».
- From Bordeaux (2 hours) and from Agen (1 hour): Exit from motorway Agen, direction « Condom » ; from Condom, direction « Auch » and « Valence-sur-Baïse » ; from Valence-sur-Baïse follow signs to « Abbaye de Flaran ».
- From Mont-de-Marsan (2 hours) : Direction « Condom » then « Valence-sur-Baïse » ; from Valence-sur-Baïse follow the signs to « Abbaye de Flaran ».
- From Tarbes and from Pau (2 hours): Direction « Auch » ; from Auch follow « Condom » or « Abbaye de Flaran » ; from Valence-sur-Baïse take « Abbaye de Flaran »
- GPS coordinates : LAT 43°888 N, LONG 0°376 E
- The entire site has wheelchair access (ramps and lift) except the kitchen and it is advisable to have a carer for getting around the garden.
- Visits for the hearing and vision impaired can be arranged by appointment through the mediation department on 05.31.00.45.77 ou 05.31.00.45.84.