Nestled in the heart of a thousand-year-old vineyard, the Archéosite transports you on an incredible journey through time. Located 4 km from Gaillac, the village of Montans is famous for its production of ceramics during the Gaulois and the the Roman period.
Cross the threshold of the museum and you will be introduced to the Gallo- Roman potters through the archaeological objects and life-size reconstructions. You will see the famous “sigillée“ ceramics which were produced in Montans and exported throughout the Atlantic coast during the first centuries AD. It was a very lucrative business as you can see from the monetary deposits on display in the room of treasures. The Italian and Gallic wine amphoras come from the very beginning of the history of wine in Gaul.
Temporary exhibitions, activities, conferences, plays and educational workshops are organised throughout the year. The Archéosite also plays its part in several nation-wide events and organise during the month of April, a week of Roman reconstructions. An original and enjoyable way to discover Archaeology.
33 Avenue Élie Rossignol
81600 Montans 05 63 57 59 16
- Full price : 4.00€
- Reduced price : 2.80 € (job seekers, benefit recipients, under 25 year olds, disabled people)
- Group price (over 10 people) : 2.80 € general admission / 3.50 € guided tour.
- Archéo-pass’ : 10 euros.
- Special rates : comités, Partner associations, carte hote holders, carte ambassadeur holders, student cheque holders,, Loisirs Accueil Tarn cheques accepted, archéo-pass’ group leaders.
- Workshop prices : 5 € per child
- Free : Children under 6 years, journalists with press cards, museum curators and heritage professionals, history students art history and archaeology students with student cards, tourist office employees, professors and guides having reserved one visit for their group within the year.
From 1st April to 31 October :
- from Wednesday to Friday : 10am-12pm /2pm to 6pm
- Weekend and holidays 2pm-6pm
From 1 November to Christmas holidays and from 1st to 31st March:
- From Wednesday to Friday: 10am-12pm and 2pm to 5pm
Annual Closing from first day of school holidays for Christmast through to the end of February. Reopening in March.
Groups : year round, by appointment, from Monday to Sunday
- Montans is located 4km south of Gaillac, between Toulouse (35 minutes) and Albi (20 minutes)
- On the A68 motorway (exit 8 Lisle-sur-Tarn or exit 9 Gaillac).