Inaugurated in 1895, the Museum displays collections of scientists and explorers, gathered by the Société d’Étude des Sciences Naturelles de Nîmes et du Gard since 1871. With the drive of the successive curators, the collection has never stopped growing.
Nowadays, the Museum preserves thousands of local prehistory materials, zoology specimens (insects, birds, mammals, reptiles, molluscs, osteology, etc.), ethnological objects (Africa, Asia, Oceania), geology samples (fossils, minerals), botanical collections (herbariums, wood collection, pot collections), as well as a library (old and recent works).
Each year a new temporary exhibition takes place in the Jules Salles Gallery next to the Museum. The Museum also offers specific entertainment programs during cultural and scientific events such as the local Heritage Days, the Science Festival, the Museums nights, the Archaeology Days.
Muséum d’Histoire naturelle de Nîmes (Natural History)
13 boulevard Amiral Courbet
30000 Nîmes 04 66 76 73 45
- Full price : €5
- Reduced price : €3 (unemployed person, students, group of 20 people or more)
- Free for children under 18 yo, art students, disabled person + 1 accompanying person, senior card, french recipients of the minimum guaranteed income, french tour guide, museum curators, journalists.
- Free for all on the first Sunday of the month, and during specific events.
- Specifics rates for schools
The ticket gives access to the museum, and the temporary exhibitions at the Jules Salles gallery.
- Tuesday to Friday : 10am-6pm
- Saturday and Sunday : 10am-6.30pm
Closed the 1st January, 1st May, 1st November, 11 November and 25 December
- The Jules Salles gallery hosting temporary exhibitions is accessible to people with reduced mobility. Please ask the opening of the access at the ticket office.
- The museum is not fully accessible to people with reduced mobility :– Ground floor : geology gallery is accessible, prehistory gallery is not accessible (3 steps).– First floor : zoology and ethnology galleries are not accessible (no elevator).