It was love at first sight that prompted Jean Lurçat to buy the Tours Saint Laurent in 1945. From that moment on an intimate bond was formed between the artist and his home. Here Jean Lurçat found a source of inspiration and experimentation that was in perfect harmony with his artistic quest; it was here that he created his most famous work, “The Song of the World”.
The Lurçat Studio-Museum that displays the beautiful collection of works given to the Department by Madame Simone Lurçat, is not merely a museum but an artist’s house filled with all the emotions that make up a home. Jean Lurçat’s talent, imagination and vision explode within these walls : the ceramic tiles, the painted doors, the joists on which musical notes dance to multi-colour sarabands, everything served as an inspiration for his creativity. A swatch of colour, the title for a work in progress, a sketch, he used the walls as a notebook and they bear witness to his effervescent spirit.
The Lurçat Studio-Museum is designated Maison des Illustres.
Atelier – Musée Jean Lurçat (Studio-Museum)
1679 avenue Jean Lurçat
46400 Saint-Laurent-les-Tours 05 65 38 28 21
- Full price : €4
- Reduced Price: €2
Free for :
- under 26 years old
- Pass Culture holders, Occ’ygène card holders
- school groups, disabled people and their carers
- job seekers, unemployed
- ICOM card holders
- Journées du Patrimoine (Heritage Days)
- 1st Saturday of the month
Open daily from 1 April to 5 November 2023, except Monday :
- 1 April–31 May : 2pm-6pm
- June and September : 10.30am-12.30pm – 2.30pm-6.30pm
- 1 July–31 August : 10.30am-6.30pm
- 1 October–5 November : 2pm-6pm
Closed 1 May